Sunday, March 15, 2015

What is the Medium?





What is the Medium? We found out the medium is much larger than one could have imagined. I watched the video Marshall McLuhan speaks. After watching the video and learning about his roots and then his work, I was intrigued to learn more about him and his work. I was drawn into a couple of the videos on you tube. Then one Marshall McLuhan video in particular that was posted in three parts which was the full lecture of the medium is the message. How much the man knew drew you into the lecture and kept your attention the whole time. When I was done watching all the parts of the lecture, I wanted more. I watched a few more videos until I came across one that really showed how well educated he was and how far ahead of the world he was in knowing where we were going to be 50 years later.

The video that I watched which drew me in and had me repeating parts of the video was the interview he had on the Today Show in 1976. Marshall McLuhan was interview by Tom Brokaw and Edwin Newman. The interview was based on Marshall McLuhan’s opinion of the presidential debate for Ford and Carter broadcasted on TV the night before.  It was interesting to see how he felt the Presidential debates are a waste of time and should only be 15 minutes at the most. He watched the Debate the both color and black and white and was able to tell which medium and which candidate looked better that the viewers and why. Mr. McLuhan impressively was able to go into detail on  the strong points by who they represented in the debate. 

Not many people or things impress me however,  Marshall McLuhan did impress me and made me want to hear more and more  After watching all of the videos, to me Marshall McLuhan  is in  the genius pool with Milton Hershey and Walt Disney.

No comments:

Post a Comment