Saturday, February 21, 2015

Digital Youth, Social Movements,




After watching the video by Raquel Recuero - Digital Youth, Social Movements, and Democracy in Brazil I found a common theme from other presentations and readings. The common theme that I have understood about social media blogs is that anyone at anytime can start a blog. As long as you have access to the internet whether by a computer or smart phone it is very easy to do. Just because you start a blog does not mean that it will be followed. There was also a point that 80% percent of the internet traffic for blogs are for the more popular and sometimes funded blogs. Some also seem that a blog might be a basic conversation between a couple of people in reality it is many conversations overlapping each other at the same time.

Raquel Recuero brought up in her video which has been the same opinion I have had for many years From being in the Information technology and security field is the internet has opened up sites like face book to be used as a tool for cyber bullying and a place where too much personal information is on the web about people. For example: one child could have postings about themselves on many sites because their grandparents might post something, then they aunt might post something and then cousins may post something etc. As you can see this one person now has personal information on the internet and is all over the place. Al of this information can be a treasure chest for thieves to break into homes, cars and even steal a person’s identify.

She also spoke about the problem of blog sites being used for things like making fun of women because different groups use social media to back their cause such as the example of sexism. This is a huge problem in Brazil, however, at the time of the video there was not laws being out into place to fight any of this. The best advice was to stay off the internet, limit you’re posting of information on social media sites such as face book and twitter and from experience form some investigations I was a part of, I agree fully with that advice and practice it as much as possible.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Scott,

    I found your journal post interesting because I was inspired recently to continue writing in a blog I started a while back. When I had mentioned that I had started a blog but only wrote one post in my first journal post our classmates were so encouraging that I have continued writing. I know firsthand that writing a blog doesn’t mean it will necessarily be followed, but for me I have to find positive ways to express myself and I found this is a great way for me to do that. It would be great to be able to touch the lives of others with what I write, but I realized there the only life I really need to make a difference with is my own. I enjoy writing and expressing myself. I was skeptical about writing a public blog because as you mentioned some of sites can be used as a way to bully others, and with the health issue I suffer from I have dealt with bullying in real life – I have no interest in dealing with it online too. I also try to limit how much I share with regards to personal details. I do not use names in my posts and on other sites I am really strict on my privacy settings. Maybe I should think about the privacy settings on my blog as well. I try to avoid drama and/or sites that put people down or criticize others. There is so much hate in the world that we don’t need strangers making us feel like crap. Great advice on limiting information and for reminding me again of the horrors and critics out there and how important it is to be aware of what you share with others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What really hit home to me was when you mentioned, "All of this information can be a treasure chest for thieves to break into homes, cars and even steal a person’s identify". This is so true and it's hard, sometimes you just don't think about this when you excitedly post something on Facebook! You never know what or who is in the background of your pictures. I keep my facebook account private but there are so many ways of getting around private account settings; if bad people really want a way into your lives, homes, cars and family...they can find a way!

    Mandy, my best friend has followed the blog YoungHouseLove.com for years now...this couple started writing a blog and now, "Hey, we're Sherry & John. This is where we chronicled 7 years of our lives as we fixed up 3 homes, had 2 children, became accidental authors and product designers, and shared our adventures (and misadventures) with the world. Now it's a time capsule of sorts, complete with nearly 3,000 posts, projects, and updates"....
    Read more at http://www.younghouselove.com/#uUJzSoFuczwEhRWr.99

    They started writing and it caught on, thousands read their blog and now, neither one of them work. They are able to make enough income off of their ideas and blogging that they can stay at home with their children! Pretty insane right?! So who knows, if you do it right and respectful (like you) then I guess, it can pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the feedback and I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete