Saturday, January 31, 2015



A picture is worth a 1000 words can be true. As we read the chapter about images and semiotic theory which is the study of these still images or the study of signs’.  It was very interesting to read about what we may think of something such as a simple picture might be filled with a lot of information about the image or the history of that image. It was very interesting to learn that the interactive participant is the one who either painted or took the picture of the material and have something for us to learn or they are trying to tell a story. This made me think about how it these images are used in WebPages for example. A real estate webpage will have picture of a house. The description of the house may only be a couple of lines however when you look at a couple of the picture of the house you can see the size, color, condition and even some options it has such as a pool.


We can take that same picture and look at it from the represented participant side and use it to ask questions like what is the picture about? What is the picture trying to tell me? Are there vectors in the picture and if so what is the history of maybe the people in the picture like the two examples at the beginning of the chapter in the book. I thought id was very informative to learn to look deeper into a picture in order to get something out of it.

1 comment:

  1. I was drawn to your opening statement. I used the exact same reference in my paper this week. It's funny how I never thought this way when I was in school. I looked at pictures and saw colors and shapes, but not much more. I was annoyed when my art teachers asked me what I saw and I had nothing clever to offer - further annoyed when I was asked to do the same thing in English class.

    Later in life when I started writing, I recalled the picture-1k-words approach to describing scenes to the reader and things were easier since I could picture things in my mind and then describe them. This trip through the Reading Images text reminded me just how little command of the English language I truly have and more so with visual literacy. (sigh...)

    Now that I have more insight on visual literacy, I hope to do better at painting the picture in words that is vividly depicted in my mind.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete